Sunday, June 12, 2016

Three Homemade GF Protein Bars



Remember the Landi Raemi DIY GF Protein Bars I previously blogged on (pictured above)? Turns out I am only able to occasionally have oatmeal. So I needed to come up with another bar without the oatmeal in the bars.

I spent a Saturday morning trying three different combinations from many different recipes and the following are my results. Even though I really wanted the flaxseed in my protein bars, I found that my favorite was #3 with the chia seeds.

Because the process of making these bars is basically the same as my first protein bar, I didn't take any new photos for this blog.

To make your bars gluten free, use gluten free protein powder.

1. Wing-It Protein Bar

2 c. pecans, soaked and dried
2 T. coconut oil, melted
1/2 c. chocolate flavored protein powder
1/2 c. ground flaxseed
1 pkg. Knox unflavored gelatine

2. Quest Wannabe Protein Bar

1/4 c. natural peanut butter
1/2 c. chocolate peanut butter flavored protein powder
5 T. honey
1/4 c. ground flaxseed
1/4 c. coconut flour
1 T. coconut oil

3. Chia Seed Delight Protein Bar

1/2 c. nut butter (see note below)
1/4 t. fine sea salt
1 T. honey
2 T. coconut oil
1 t. vanilla
2 pkg. Knox unflavored gelatine
1/2 c. vanilla flavored protein powder
1 T. chia seeds

Measure out dry ingredients and place in a bowl. Mix thoroughly. Measure and add liquid ingredients to dry mixture. Thoroughly mix until all dry ingredients are coated and dough-like. Cut a piece of wax paper and place on cookie sheet. Spread dough onto waxed paper until 1/4" thick. Cut into bars. Freeze to harden enough to coat with chocolate.


Chocolate Coating:


3-1/2 to 4 oz. dark chocolate bar
1 T. coconut oil
Measure and place chocolate and coconut oil into a double boiler. Heat until melted, stirring regularly. Dip bars one at a time into melted chocolate, turning to coat both sides. Return bars to wax paper. Place bars in refrigerator until set. Keep refrigerated.


Note:  1-1/2 c. almond flour + 4 T. coconut oil for almond butter = 1/2 c. nut butter.
To make almond butter from almond flour, I followed the directions from My Gutsy. Note: I had to use double the coconut oil (4 T.) to get it to a butter consistency. This is fine since I love coconut oil.





Disclosure: The Excalibur Dehydrator link under "Other Sites" is an affiliated link. If you make a purchase using this link ~ you will receive free shipping, along with other specials. I also earn a small percentage to help support my blog. Thank you, your support is appreciated!!


No comments:

Post a Comment