Sunday, March 9, 2014

Healthier Pizza Crust


Anyone who knows me knows my favorite food is pizza. Actually that’s quite funny since when I was in grade school I thought I hated pizza. Really, I just never tried it. Once I did, there was no turning back. I have been eating pizza ever since. Ask any one of my family members what my favorite food is and they’ll all agree, without any hesitation - it’s pizza!


Frozen pizza, restaurant pizza, homemade pizza, thin-crust pizza, hand-tossed pizza, pan pizza, dessert pizza, breakfast pizza, fruit pizza, all-meat pizza, veggie pizza, one-topping, two-topping, supreme ... Well, you get the idea ... any pizza will do ... even pizza flavoring!

As much as I love pizza, pizza isn't necessarily good for you. In fact, it can be quite unhealthy depending on the pizza and what's all in it. And definitely fattening!

My daughter, Keisha, is home on spring break and was after me to make a homemade pizza. I decided to give in but only on the condition she helped make it. She would be in charge of the meat topping and I would handle the crust.

Since both Keisha and I prefer sausage over plain hamburger on a pizza, I pulled out a recipe containing spices used in making sausage. She did her best to add different amounts of the spices she chose for the meat and the results were better than expected. She also added spinach for the first topping layer.

Keisha does not like it when I alter recipes trying to make them healthier so I warned her ahead of time that I was going to substitute a couple items in order to make them less detrimental to our health.

For starters, I replaced the butter in the crust with coconut oil (my favorite!) which is way better for you. And, for a sugar substitute, I recently purchased a bag of Stevia for the first time. Stevia has zero calories. Zero! Zilch! Nada! None! According to the bag, you can replace the sugar, cup for cup, with Stevia. Since it only called for a tablespoon, I couldn't see the harm in it, even though the Stevia is so light compared to granulated sugar. No wonder sugar weighs us down!

We were all very pleased with the results. In fact, Keisha commented that the pizza was amazing!

Update: We enjoyed this pizza so much we made another one with bacon and more spinach.


For Pizza Dough recipe, go here: Landi Raemi's Pizza Dough!



Disclosure: The Excalibur Dehydrator link under "Other Sites" is an affiliated link. If you make a purchase using this link ~ you will receive free shipping, along with other specials. I also earn a small percentage to help support my blog. Thank you, your support is appreciated!!

No comments:

Post a Comment