Sunday, July 5, 2015

Kombucha, Part III


Time to make another batch of Kombucha. Okay, I admit it, I actually made the new batch on Friday night because I really couldn't wait; I had already finished drinking my previous batch!

I had purchased a second gallon-sized jar so I'd have two batches brewing at once. I also wanted to use my pretty watermelon jar with its pouring spout for the fermented tea so I would have easy access.

I left the black tea in the watermelon jar and removed the SCOBY along with some of the fermented tea to add to the next batch.


I poured enough of the green tea in with the black tea to fill the gallon jar up and had enough left over to fill three 1-1/2 pint-sized jars. Then I cut up two cherries for each of those jars for flavoring.


I brewed a batch of black tea and used one SCOBY for this batch. I didn't split or remove any new growth from either SCOBY this time as they didn't look like there was enough new growth there to split. Notice the SCOBY sank to the bottom this time.

For directions, go to my post on Kombucha.


For the second gallon-sized jar I used an already flavored tea, Lipton's Peach Mango, a white tea made with pure long-leaf.

Since I really liked the flavor of the black and green tea combination, I decided not to flavor it but drink it as it is. Good stuff!


Note: On Saturday I noticed some nasty looking things that looked similar to mold on the top of my fermented tea in the watermelon jar. I found a large container and strained the tea using a coffee filter in a plastic strainer. (Remember, metal kills SCOBYs.) This took care of the moldy looking stuff. I washed my watermelon jar and poured the tea back into it.

Update: Kombucha, Part II batch ~ By the end of the week, I had finished drinking the Kombucha and noticed a very thin SCOBY had started growing in the batch I was drinking from. I wasn't sure what to do with it and didn't know if it was big enough to keep and use over, so I threw it out. After I did, I regretted it. I'll be looking into ways to use extra SCOBYs in the near future. The cherry flavored black tea from the 1-1/2 size pint jars was great! They had a carbonated taste to them like I had hoped.

Kombucha, Part III batch ~ The batch of Peach Mango flavored tea was fantastic! No need to add flavoring to that one and I will definitely make that one again. I also like the black tea and combined the two together. Love it!

One of my next tea batches will be Chamomile tea. Looking forward to it!

For more on the Kombucha making, go to Kombucha and Kombucha, Part II.


Disclosure: The Excalibur Dehydrator link under "Other Sites" is an affiliated link. If you make a purchase using this link ~ you will receive free shipping, along with other specials. I also earn a small percentage to help support my blog. Thank you, your support is appreciated!!

No comments:

Post a Comment