Sunday, September 13, 2015

Fermented Pickles


Since I received several cucumbers and had a few leftover zucchini from a co-worker, I decided to try my hand at making some homemade pickles. Seemed simple enough.

After all the produce was washed, I pulled out my vegetable slicer and my #1 indispensable kraut making tool, and began slicing up all the cucumbers.


Since I had the tools out already, I went ahead and sliced up the zucchini, too. Then I used my #2 indispensable tool and placed all the sliced cucumbers into a large jar.


Once all the cucumbers were in the jar, I found there was still plenty of room so I added the zucchini on top.


I measured the spices and sprinkled them on top of the pickles, then I added the liquid to make a brine making sure to cover all the sliced cucumbers and zucchini. I placed a plastic lid that I had cut down in size on top to hold the pickles under the brine. I put the cover on and left the jar on the counter where it will sit for a couple weeks before going into the refrigerator.


I based the directions and recipes for the brine off the ones I found at Living Life Real and Mother Earth News

Fermented Pickles:

Cucumbers, sliced
2 T. dill weed
2 t. minced garlic
2 T. celtic sea salt
1 T. apple cider vinegar
1 t. turmeric
8 c. water

Slice the cucumbers and put in a large jar. Add the spices and the apple cider vinegar. Add water to fill the jar. Cut a piece of plastic to hold the cucumber under the brine. Cover and ferment at room temperature for two or more weeks. Taste pickles regularly. When fermented pickles reach a flavor you like, refrigerate them. Should last 4 to 6 months.


Disclosure: The Excalibur Dehydrator link under "Other Sites" is an affiliated link. If you make a purchase using this link ~ you will receive free shipping, along with other specials. I also earn a small percentage to help support my blog. Thank you, your support is appreciated!!

No comments:

Post a Comment