Sunday, July 12, 2015

Gluten Free Bread


Recently my doctor advised me to go gluten free which was no easy task. Gluten seemed to be in everything I had been eating! But I think the hardest part of going gluten free was giving up my favorite pizzas and homemade goodies.

I have been perusing Pinterest considerably looking for anything gluten free that I could really sink my teeth into. I have tried a few recipes, some okay and others not so good. Like a coconut flour waffle recipe that claimed to be the best they've had. I made it, I tasted it, and I threw the rest out. I also deleted the pin. To each his own I guess.

Sick of all the gluten free store bought crackers, where you get half the crackers for twice the money! I really miss eating bread! Fruits and vegetables are great but seems I am always hungry.

I found a bread recipe, I altered it a bit, and since I like simplicity, I used my breadmaker. I have made it three times already and decided it is a keeper! Kudos to the Book of Yum!


I first added the liquid ingredients to the breadmaker, covered the liquids with the flours, and then the remaining ingredients. Selected the dough cycle and already I was half done!


I sprayed a couple of bread pans and divided the dough between them. Then I sprinkled the tops with oregano, and set them aside to raise for 30 minutes. Ordinarily I place bread dough in a warm oven to raise, but since it was a hot and humid day, the house was plenty warm. Once the dough raised, I turned the oven on 375 degrees and baked the loaves for 30 minutes.


I removed them from the pans onto a cooling rack.


In my house we never wait until the bread is cool, we dig right in!


The first slice! Dang this stuff is good!!!


And since it is gluten free, I am once again enjoying the taste of fresh bread! I will keep searching for that perfect gluten free waffle recipe ...


Gluten Free Bread

1-1/2 c. warm water
2 T. coconut oil
3 eggs
1 t. apple cider vinegar
1-1/2 c. sorghum flour
1 c. tapioca flour
1/2 c. millet flour
1 T. xanthum gum
2 T. sugar
2 T. yeast
1-1/2 t. Himalayan salt
Oregano

Layer ingredients in breadmaker pan according to manufacturer's directions. Select the dough cycle and start. Spray two loaf pans with non-stick cooking spray. When dough is thoroughly mixed, divide into the two loaf pans. Sprinkle with oregano and let raise for 30 minutes. Place in oven and bake at 375 degrees for 30 minutes. Remove from pans onto a cooling rack. Slice and enjoy!


Disclosure: The Excalibur Dehydrator link under "Other Sites" is an affiliated link. If you make a purchase using this link ~ you will receive free shipping, along with other specials. I also earn a small percentage to help support my blog. Thank you, your support is appreciated!!

No comments:

Post a Comment